303. Pleasants-Lorraine House (FY 1756)
1311 Brookstown Avenue
G.C. Hendricks designed this large two-story frame house for Edward O. Pleasants, who was the secretary-treasurer of the Townsend Buggy Company Showing influences of both the Craftsman and Colonial Revival styles, the weatherboarded foursquare house has a pyramidal roof with widely overhanging eaves, a gabled front dormer with a Palladian window, nine-over-one sash windows, a broad front porch with paneled posts set on granite plinths and a plain balustrade, and a rear sleeping porch. The southeast side porte-cochere was added between 1917 and 1924.
Like so many houses in the West End, this one has a granite retaining wall at the sidewalk. The Pleasants sold the house in 1944 to H. Lee and Mary Lorraine, and they remained owner-occupants until 1969. Lorraine was factory manager at R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company (SH, TR, CD, WSCI)
Garage/studio, Contributing: Behind the house is a weatherboard frame garage with a pyramidal roof which appears to be contemporary with the house. It has been converted to a studio.