291. House (FY 1745)
1111 Brookstown Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1925
This two-story weatherboarded frame Colonial Revival dwelling is one of the typical 1920’s expressions of the style. Its primary characteristic is the steep gambrel roof with flared eaves. Other features include a front shed dormer, six-over-one sash windows, and a southeast side sun room. The central entrance provides the most handsome detailing, with a six-panel door with narrow sidelights and wooden semicircular fan suggesting a Palladian design motif, and a porch with slender Tuscan posts and a pedimented entablature with a barrel-vaulted ceiling. The entrance is nearly identical to the one at 614 west End Boulevard (#274). In recent years a small modern addition was built to the right rear corner of the house, but it is unobtrusive.
The house was built as investment property by Carrie and Minnie Martin, and through much of its history has been used for rental purposes. David and Catherine Kelly, who owned the house from 1946 to 1962, were the first owner-occupants. (TR, CD)