290. Martin-Nock House (FY 1744)
1005 Brookstown Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1890
The Martin House may be the dwelling shown at this location on the 1891 Bird’s Eye View, which corresponds with the house shown on the 1912 Sanborn Hap but which was enlarged with a two-story rear addition between 1912 and 1917, according to the 1917 Sanborn Nap. It is a two-story frame dwelling with a pyramidal roof, a small hipped dormer, interior chimneys, and a three-bay facade. The only exterior ornamentation comes with the one-story front porch with its slender turned posts and sawnwork brackets. In recent years the house has been covered with aluminum siding, but this detracts little from its overall integrity.
According to local tradition, the house was built ca. 1890 by Jack and Liza Brown Martin. It was long the home of their daughters, Carrie and Minnie Martin, who operated a ladies ready-to-wear business. Carrie Martin sold the house in 1946, and since 1956 it has been owned and occupied by Laverne F. and Esther G. Hock.
Garage, Noncontributing:Behind the house is two-car German-sided frame garage with a gable roof which appears to date from the mid-twentieth century