280. Shepherd-Freeman Duplex (FY 1737)
735-737 West End Boulevard
This is one of several handsome 1920’s pebbledash duplexes in the West End. It is a large two-story structure with a clipped gable roof (with gables wood shingled), a low hip-roofed shingled dormer, bungalow style windows, and left front and right side entrance porches with Tuscan columns, latticework panels, plain balustrades, and pedimented gables.
Edward H. Shepherd, an employee of Wachovia Bank and Trust Company, purchased the property in January of 1924, and by 1925 he and his wife, Mary, were listed at this location in the city directory. The Shepherds sold the duplex in 1940, and in 1959, after renting one of the apartments for several years, Pickens N. and Ann c. Freeman bought the house, which remains in family ownership.
Garage, Contributing: Behind the house is a pebbledash garage with a pyramidal roof, which appears contemporary with the house.