268. J.W. Hill House (FY 1725)
510 West End Boulevard
The Hill House is a two-story brick veneer dwelling which is a simple and straightforward representation of the Colonial Revival style. It has a low hip roof with overhanging eaves and shallow brackets, paired nine-over-one sash windows, a front porch with Tuscan columns, and a north side porte-cochere with Tuscan columns set on brick plinths. A granite retaining wall outlines the front yard and borders the curved steps leading to the porch.
The Burge-Loyd building company constructed the house for John William Hill, an independent tobacco buyer, and his wife, Betty. Their family retains ownership of the house, although it now serves as rental property. (OS, TR)
Garage, Contributing: Behind the porte-cochere is a two-car brick garage with a pyramidal roof which appears to have been built at the same time as the house or shortly thereafter.