267. Samuel Sosnik House (FY 1724)
500 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1927
The Sosnik House is a simple 1920’s version of the Colonial Revival style. The two-story brick veneer structure has a low hip roof with overhanging eaves and exposed rafter ends giving the impression of a modillioned cornice, a detail repeated on the porches. The French door entrance with sidelights is sheltered by a small porch with Roman Doric columns. The sun room on the north side of the house is balanced by the open porch of the south side.
The house was probably built by contractor J. E. Kennerly and sold soon thereafter to Samuel Sosnik, of Sosnik & Sosnik, ladies’ ready-to-wear (which later became Sosnik’s/Thalhimers). Kennerly purchased the property in 1927, but continued to live on S. Broad Street, while by 1930, Samuel and Bessie Sosnik were listed at this location. The Sosnik family retained ownership until 1971. (TR, CD)
Garage, Noncontributing:Behind the house is a one-car brick garage with a pyramidal roof which was probably built post 1930.