262. Frank E. Griffith House (FY 1719)
923-925 Carolina Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1920
The Griffith House is an example of the eclectic architecture which provided visual variety to the neighborhoods of the 1920’s. It is two-story stuccoed dwelling with a gabled roof, a Classical entrance porch with square posts and a full pedimented entablature, a scroll-supported balcony with casement windows and fanlight transom, and the suggestion of a pergola on the SW side. A one-story room on the NE side appears to be a post-1950 addition or alteration, but it detracts little from the overall integrity of the house.
Frank E. and Bessie Griffith purchased the property in 1919 and built the house as their residence soon thereafter. He was secretary of the Winston-Salem Retail Merchants Assn. and secretary-treasurer of the Carolina Retailer Publishing Company The Griffiths retained ownership until 1958. (TR, CD, SM)