246. Robert S. Tilley House (FY 951)
834 Carolina Avenue
The Tilley House is one of the most classic examples of the Tudor Revival style in the West End. Significant features of the two-story stuccoed house include the mock half-timbering, the multiple steep clipped gables with overhanging eaves, the shed
wall dormer, the second floor overhang on the northeast side, and the paired and tripled nine-over-one sash windows. The gabled front porch continues this detailing. Robert S. Tilley, a bookkeeper, and his wife, Beatrice, owned the house from 1925 to 1972. (TR, CD)
Garage, Noncontributing: Behind the house is a two-car garage, of undetermined date, with rusticated cinderblock walls and a low hip roof.