245. C. Lewis Martin House (FY 1703)
832 Carolina Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1922
This simple Colonial Revival house is one of several of its type built in the West End in the 1920’s. It is a one-and-a-half-story brick veneer and shingle structure with a steep gable roof, a front shed dormer, and a NE side sun room. The pent eave between the first and upper stories arches over the central entrance, providing a simple hood for it. Like the other houses along this stretch of Carolina Avenue, the Martin House is reached by a steep flight of steps from the sidewalk.
C. Lewis and Ada Martin purchased this property in 1921, and according to the 1924 Sanborn Hap the house had been built by that time. Martin was the superintendent of Indera Mills. The Martins retained ownership until 1957. (TR, SH, CD)