243. Clifford s. Hopkins House (FY 1701)
820 Carolina Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1920
The Hopkins House is a one-and-a-half-story, weatherboarded frame dwelling with a steep gable roof. A good example of the Craftsman style, the house has a handsome left front corner porch with heavy stuccoed columns and carved plate and joists ends. The deck above has a balustrade which appears to be added. The property includes a large yard on the NE side and a garage (see below).
Clifford S. and Minnie Hopkins purchased the property in 1919. The house was built soon thereafter, and it remained in their family ownership until 1946. Hopkins was an employee of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company (TR, CD, SH)
Garage, Noncontributing:Behind the house is a four-car stuccoed garage with a hip roof which appears to have been built post 1930. It is shared with 824 Carolina Avenue (#244) next door.