240. Martin House (FY 957)
515 Jersey Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1905
The Martin House is characteristic of the small late Victorian cottages found in the West End. It is a one-story weatherboarded house of irregular configuration with a steep pyramidal roof with intersecting front and side gables and a corner porch with plain posts and balustrade. The decorative focal point of the exterior is the front gable, with its fishscale-cut wood shingles, molded cornice, and wooden gable peak ornamentation.
Prior to 1956 the house had numerous owners and appears to have been used primarily as rental property. In that year Eleanor H. Martin, the present owner-occupant, purchased the house. (TR, CD, SH)