236. Ogburn House (FY 1696)
529 Jersey Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1922
The Ogburn House is an interesting variation of the Colonial Revival style. The two-story frame house is completely sheathed with coursed square-cut wood shingles, including the front entrance and side porches. The house also is characterized by a gambrel roof, a front shed dormer, and eight-over-one sash windows.
Olive Thomas Ogburn purchased the property in 1921, and soon thereafter she and her husband, R. Henry Ogburn, Jr., who was an assistant treasurer at Wachovia Bank and Trust Company, had this house built as their residence. The Ogburns retained ownership until 1944, after which there was a series of owners. (TR, CD, SN)