225. Courtney-Scott House (FY 1684)
629 Jersey Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1921
This two-story frame house shows the influences of both the Colonial Revival and Craftsman styles. The foursquare house features a gable-on-hip roof, four-over-one sash windows, and an off-center front porch with paneled posts and a plain balustrade. In recent years the house has been sheathed with vinyl siding, but this has not destroyed its architectural integrity.
Jefferson B. Courtney, an assistant superintendent at R. J, Reynolds Tobacco, purchased the property in 1921 and shortly thereafter built this house as his residence. In 1928 Lyttleton B. Scott, also an employee of R. J, Reynolds Tobacco, purchased the house, and he owned it until 1968, (TR, CD, SH)