652 Summit Street
Contributing, ca. 1920
The Valk House is an unusual two-story stuccoed dwelling designed by Richmond architect Charles H. Robinson and constructed by Fogle Brothers. It has clipped gables, gable end chimneys flanked by lunette windows, and a southeast side shed room balanced by a northwest side sun room (originally an open porch) with Tuscan columns. The front entrance is sheltered by a Classical porch with Tuscan columns and a pedimented entablature. The rear of the house, which faces Jersey Avenue, has an ell with a sleeping porch and a ground level arcade.
Anna Valk purchased the property in 1916, but she and her husband, Dr. Arthur DeTalma Valk, were not listed on Summit Street until the 1922 city directory. The Valks owned the property until 1975. (OS, TR, CD, SH)