618 Summit Street
The well-designed Colonial Revival Thomas-Welch House was chosen for inclusion in the 1924 publication “Art Work of Piedmont Section of North Carolina”, a collection of photographs of buildings and parks in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, and Charlotte. The house is a two-story Flemish bond brick dwelling with a pedimented gable roof with modillioned cornice, pedimented dormers, a Roman Doric entrance porch with a full entablature and ironwork balustraded deck, and a one-story sun room with matching details on the south side.
John R. Thomas, a coal and ice dealer, purchased the property in 1922, and by 1924 the house had been completed. Thomas and his heirs owned the property until 1934. Since 1940 it has been owned by John G. Welch and his heirs. (TR, CD, SM, AH)