641 Summit Street
Simple refinement characterizes this two-story frame Colonial Revival dwelling, which in scale, material, and detail is similar to many houses of the period in the West End. It has a truncated hip roof with pedimented dormers, a modillioned cornice, and a front porch with a matching cornice, groups of two or three Tuscan columns set on stuccoed brick plinths, a plain balustrade, and a pedimented entrance bay. The ca. 1970’s aluminum siding does not overly detract from the character of the house.
Behind the house is a former servants’ house and garage which is shared with 633 Summit Street (116).
Samuel D. Hancock, president of Hancock Grocery, purchased the property in 1914 and built the house immediately thereafter. Since Hancock sold the house in 1934, it has had numerous owners. (TR, CD, SM)
1917 Sanborn Map, page 85 at 641 Summit Street