James C. Dodson, a leaf buyer for R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., purchased a lot on Summit Street in 1911 and commissioned architect J. S. Zimmerman to design a Colonial Revival residence forĀ  him (116). [58] It is the only building in the West End know to have been designed by Zimmerman, who had an architectural office in Winston from 1906 until around 1912 when he moved to Salisbury. After 1913-1914 nothing is known of him, and the major work for which he is remembered is the North Carolina Building at the Jamestown Ter-Centennial Exposition in Hampton Roads, Virginia in 1907. [59]