294 West End Boulevard
The well-preserved Brown House is a handsome Craftsman style foursquare dwelling typical of its 1920 construction date. The house has a weatherboarded first story, a wood shingled second story, a low hip roof with overhanging eaves, and a matching front dormer. Windows are paired nine-over-one sash and the multi-pane glass and wood panel entrance is flanked by sidelights. The broad wrap-around porch is detailed with paneled wood posts set on brick plinths connected by a plain balustrade. A stone retaining wall outlines the front yard, and broad stone steps lead up from the sidewalk.
The property was purchased by Joseph M.Hiram F., and Seth B. Brown in 1919, and by 1921 the city directory listed various members of the Brown family at this address. The Browns owned the house until 1938. The longest owners were John W. and Marie Foster, from 1951 to 1971. Foster was a physician with the Veterans’ Administration. (TR, CD, SH)