256 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1907
The vernacular Queen Anne cottage is a one-story weatherboarded frame dwelling with decorative wood shingle gables, a left front projecting bay, and a porch with turned posts, sawnwork brackets and plain balustrade which follows the irregular outline of the facade.
This house is a mirror image of 252 West End Boulevard (75), and like the other house, it was owned as rental property by Judge Erastus Beverly Jones and his heirs from 1907 to 1978. Neighboring properties were also owned and rented by the Judge (77 & 78). Both are good examples of some of the more modest early twentieth century dwellings in the West End, which are smaller than some of the houses, but which are still architecturally compatible because of their form, material, and detail. (TR, CD, SH)
1917 Sanborn Map, page 86 at “648/621” N. Broad