588. Carter-Joyner House (FY 2002)
120 Taylor Street
This classic bungalow appears to have been little-altered except for its mid-century asbestos shingle siding. It is a large one-and-a-half-story frame dwelling with a broad gable roof with widely overhanging braced eaves and cornice returns, a small shed dormer, interior chimneys, paired twelve-over-one sash windows and a Craftsman door, an engaged front porch with Tuscan posts, and a smaller engaged porch on the rear.
J. Watt and Nellie Carter purchased the property in 1917, and the following year they were listed at this location in the city directory. Carter was a traveling salesman. Around 1935 Emery G. and Mae Joyner began occupying the house, which they purchased in 1941. In 1970 Nae Joyner was still listed at this address. (TR, SH, CD)