568. House (FY 1982)
1406 Jarvis Street
Contributing, ca. 1911
This two-story frame house shows late Victorian irregular massing but Colonial Revival detailing. The weatherboarded dwelling has a gabled and hipped roof with overhanging boxed eaves and molded cornice, a hipped dormer, and a wrap-around porch with Tuscan columns and a plain balustrade. A modern but compatible shed-roofed addition was built to the rear of the house in the late 1970’s. It does not diminish the integrity of the house.
The original owners were J.H. Early and C.O. Marshall. In 1923 Early became full owner, and the house remained in his family ownership until 1966. City directories show however, that the house was not owner-occupied (James Harold Early lived on Clover Street) until ca. 1950 when J.H. Early, Jr. was listed at this address. (OS, TR, CD)