551. Carter-Jenkins House (FY 1966)
1167 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1915
Like many of the houses built in the 1910’s and 1920’s, this is a simple but sturdily built dwelling with hints of both Colonial Revival and Craftsman stylistic influences. The two-story frame house has a pyramidal roof, a southeast side wing with pedimented gable, and a wrap-around porch with paneled Tuscan posts and a plain balustrade. The facade features the same type of large bungalow window with fancy transom as found on both 1163 and 1159 West End Boulevard of the same construction date. Probably in mid-century, the house was covered with aluminum siding, but this has not significantly diminished its status as a “contributing” architectural property in the West End.
The first known occupants of the house were DeWitt S. and Emma S. Carter, who were listed at this location in the 1916-1920 city directories. While the house was investment property of George B. Whitaker, its most prominent tenant was Mrs. T.W. Hancock, the dressmaker for Winston-Salem1 s social elite. She lived in the house from ca. 1928 through at least 1932. In 1941 Cynthia Myrtle Jenkins, also a dressmaker, purchased the property for her residence, and she owned it until 1969. Subsequently the house has changed ownership frequently. (CD, TR, SH)