549. Walker-Hopkins House (FY 1964)
1159 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1915
This foursquare house is typical of many built during the 1910’s and 1920’s which display the combined influences of the Colonial Revival and Craftsman styles. The two-story frame house has a weatherboarded first story, a wood shingled second story, a pyramidal roof with overhanging eaves with flat brackets, and a wood shingled hip dormer. Also featured are six-over-one and nine-over-one sash windows, a southeast side chimney and bay window, a glass and wood paneled front entrance with multi-pane sidelights and transom, and a front porch with Tuscan columns and a plain balustrade.
The 1916 city directory lists F.E. Griffith at this location, but in the same year Miss Hester Bruce Walker purchased the property and was herself listed at this location in the 1918 directory. Hester Walker was a designer for Mrs. T.W. Hancock (“Madame Hancock”), who for years was the most prominent dressmaker in Winston and did, for example, Katherine Smith Reynolds’ clothes. (See 1167 West End Boulevard, #551.) Walker sold the house in 1945 to William S. and Pearl Hopkins for their residence. The Hopkins family retained ownership until 1983. (TR, CD, SH)