531. Edwin L. Cole House (FY 1946)
1116 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1920
The Cole House is a large one-and-a-half-story bungalow with a pebbledash first story and a wood shingled upper story. Typical of bungalows, the broad gable roof has widely overhanging braced eaves. The German sided front shed dormer may be an addition, but of unkno1m date. The house has paired bungalow style windows, a sidelighted front door, and an off-center gabled porch with square wood posts on brick plinths and a plain balustrade. The front yard has a high stone retaining wall and a long flight of stone steps.
In 1916 Edwin L. Cole, a foreman at RJR Tobacco Company, and his wife, Rosebud, purchased this property, but it was not until 1921 that they were listed in the city directory at this location. The Coles occupied the house until selling it in 1966. (TR, CD)
Garage, Contributing: On the alley behind the house is a one-car weatherboarded frame garage with a gable roof. It appears to date from pre-1930.