526. Johnathan R. Walker House (FY 1941)
1037 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1917
The Walker House is an example of one of the standard bungalow types popular during the 1910’s and 1920’s. It is a one-and-a-half-story house with a weatherboarded first story, a wood shingled upper story (some now covered with asbestos shingles), a broad gable roof with widely overhanging braced eaves and simple bargeboards, a matching front dormer, a Craftsman front door, and a broad front porch with heavy brick posts and a plain balustrade.
Johnathan R. Walker purchased the property in 1911, but the 1918 city directory was the first to list him and his wife, Mattie, at this location. He was assistant postmaster. The Walkers owned and occupied the house until the early 1940’s. (TR, CD, SH)