505. Rufus E. Johnson House (FY 992)
150 Piedmont Avenue
This transitional late Victorian-Colonial Revival house is identical to 154 Piedmont Avenue (#506) next door, and although not elaborate, they make one of the most striking pair of houses in the West End. This two-story, two-bay wide, weatherboarded house has a steep hip roof with left front and left side pedimented cross gables corresponding with the front and side projecting bays. Other features include shuttered windows with diamond-muntined upper sash and a hip-roofed porch with Tuscan columns and a plain balustrade.
Rufus E. Johnson, manager of the sales department of RJR Tobacco Company, purchased the property in 1912, and the following year he was listed with his wife, Stella, at this location in the city directory. After her husband’s death, Stella Johnson continued to occupy the house until at least 1965 and sold the property in 1973, (TR, CD, SH)