504. H.R. James House (FY 1920)
146 Piedmont Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1915
This boxy two-story house shows the influence of both the Colonial Revival and Craftsman styles, a typical combination for 1910’s and 1920’s housing in the West End. The house has a broad gable roof with widely overhanging eaves with cornice returns, nine-over-one sash windows, and shallow bay windows on east and west sides. The shed-roofed front porch has a pedimented entrance bay, wood posts on stuccoed plinths, and a plain balustrade. The house has been sheathed with vinyl siding in recent years, but the original form and detailing predominate.
William R. James, a bookkeeper for Farmer’s Warehouse, listed the property for taxes in 1914, and in 1916 he and his wife, Blanche, were listed at this location in the city directory. The James family remained owner-occupants until 1958. (TR, CD, SH)