481. John C. Reich House (FY 1901)
1223 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1920
This one-and-a-half-story frame bungalow is a typical design of the 1910’s and 1920’s period. It has a broad gable roof with widely overhanging braced eaves, a large matching front dormer, a French door entrance with matching sidelights and transom, and an engaged front porch with paneled Classical posts and a sun room at the southeast corner. The house was sheathed with vinyl siding in recent years, but its overall form and detailing still contribute to the architectural character of the West End. Northwest of the house is a rusticated block garage shared with 1221 W. Fourth Street (480).
A one-and-a-half-story house at this location is shown on the 1917 Sanborn Map, but its configuration does not conform with this house, and it appears more likely that the present house (or its present form) dates from several years later. In 1919 J. C. and Ophelia Reich purchased the property, and by 1921 they were listed here in the city directory. The Reich family remained owner-occupants until 1967. (SH, TR, CD)