474 Smithdeal-Johnson House (FY 1895)
1183 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1910
The Smithdeal-Johnson House is a large but simple Colonial Revival dwelling typical of many built during the early years of this century. It is a two-story frame house with a truncated hip roof intersected by pedimented gables on the right front and left side projecting bays, a glass panel front entrance with sidelights and transom, and a wrap-around porch with the ubiquitous Tuscan columns and turned balustrade. In mid-century the house was sheathed with asbestos shingles, but the early twentieth century form and detail continue to predominate.
The house is depicted on the 1912 Sanborn Map, but the first tax listing was not until 1920, listing J. F. Smithdeal. The city directories did not list this particular address until 1921, again with Johnathan F. and Lula B. Smithdeal. He was president of Smithdeal Realty and Insurance Company and of Basketeria Stores. The Smithdeal’s appear to have sold the house around 1934. In 1944 Lonnie L. Johnson, an employee of R. J. Tobacco Company, and his wife, Bertha, purchased the house, and Mrs. Johnson remains the owner-occupant. (SH, TR, CD)
Garage, Contributing: Southeast of the house is a two-car weatherboarded garage with a steep hip roof, front and side dormers allowing for a small upper story room, and a series of sheds attached to the rear. One of the most unusual outbuildings in the West End, it appears to have been built prior to 1930.