434. Sosnik House (FY 1857)
1224 W. First Street
Contributing, ca. 1914
This bungalow is typical of many of those built in the West End during the 1910’s and 1920’s. It is a one-and-a-half-story frame dwelling with a broad gable roof with widely overhanging braced eaves, a matching front dormer, interior end chimneys, and an engaged front porch with massive corner posts and a plain vertical-rail balustrade. The house was sheathed with asbestos shingles in mid-century, but this change has not significantly affected the overall architectural character of the house. A decorative low stone retaining wall borders the front yard.
Real estate investor P. Oscar Leak (318) purchased the property in 1913, and in 1917 the house was depicted on the Sanborn Map. It was rented until 1946, when Nathan E. and Ida Sosnik purchased the property for their residence. The house has remained in Sosnik family ownership and occupancy. (TR, SH, CD)
Garage, Contributing: Behind the house is a two-car brick garage with a pyramidal roof which appears to pre-date 1930 (no longer standing, some foundation elements remain).