399. Harry L. Shaner House (FY 1826)
240 N. Sunset Drive
Contributing, ca. 1917
The Shaner House is a two-story dwelling of late Victorian-Colonial Revival influence. It has weatherboard siding, a low pyramidal roof with overhanging enclosed eaves, nine-over-one sash windows, a wrap-around porch with Tuscan columns and a plain balustrade, and an unusual shingled room over the central entrance bay. Bay windows were added to this room in 1986, but the house remains an interesting statement of the early development of Sunset Drive
The house appears on the 1917 Sanborn Map (one of only three houses on the street at that time), but was not listed in the city directories until 1921, when it was the residence of W. L. and Mary Thorton.
The first known owner-occupants were Harry L. and Edith Shaner, who purchased the house in 1922 and were listed at this location in the 1923 city directory. Shaner was commissioner of Public Works. The Shaners sold the property in 1931. Between 1940 and 1951 the house was owned by Victor L. and Myrtle C. Davis. (SH, CD, TR)