388. Gregg House (FY 1816)
909 West End Boulevard
The Gregg House is an example of one of the most typical variations of the Colonial Revival style built in the West End and elsewhere between ca. 1905 and ca. 1920. It is a two-story frame house, nearly square in configuration, with a hip roof, hipped dormers, a three-bay facade, a double-leaf front entrance with leaded and beveled glass sidelights and transom, and a wrap-around porch with Tuscan columns and a slightly projecting pedimented entrance bay. In recent years the house has been aluminum-sided and a one-story addition has been built to the rear, but these alterations are unobtrusive and do little to diminish the architectural integrity of the house.
Ellen S. Gregg purchased the property in 1911 and the Sanborn Map of the following year was labeled “excavation” at this site. By 1913 Johnathan O. and Ellen Gregg were listed at 709 Boulevard (the original address) in the city directory. He was a traveling salesman. The house was later used as rental property, but it remained in Gregg family ownership until 1955. (SM, TR, CD)
Garage, Noncontributing:On the north side of the house is a one-car frame garage with a gable roof and aluminum siding which appears to have been built recently.