372. Duplex (FY 1804)
1145 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1920
This duplex is characteristic of several others built in the West End during the 1920’s, particularly 637-641 Jersey Avenue (#223). It is a two-story pebbledash structure with a gable roof, wood shingled gables with lunette windows, a bracketed cornice, six-over-one sash windows, and pedimented left front and right side entrance porches.
The property was purchased by H.D. Stockton for Stockton Realty Company in 1919, and although he owned the property until 1945, he never lived here. In 1925 J. C. and Margaret Spach were listed in the city directory at this location, but occupancy changed frequently through the years as the duplex was used primarily as rental property. (TR, CD)
Garage/apartment, Noncontributing:Behind the duplex is a two-story brick veneer building with a gable-on-hip roof. It was a multi-car garage with an upstairs apartment which appears to date from after 1930