362. S.E. Hall House (FY 975)
1144 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1908
The Hall House is a Neo-Classical Revival structure dominated by a two-story central portico with Ionic columns and full Classical entablature which surmounts a one-story Tuscan porch. The house stands majestically on a hill overlooking the intersection of Fourth and First Streets. It is unusual in that the one-and-a-half-story form with clipped gable roof with wood shingled ends appears somewhat less formal than might be expected with the Neo-Classical Revival detailing. A broad double-leaf entrance with wide sidelights and transom leads to a center hall plan interior with a paneled wainscot and a rear hall stair. Although vinyl siding has been unsympathetically applied in recent years, and a small parking lot bordered by a stone and wood rail wall encircles the property, the house continues to make a significant contribution to the historic architectural character of the West End.
Tax records suggest that attorney Shirley E. Hall purchased the property in 1907, and by 1910 he was listed on Fourth Street at this location. He and his wife, Mattie, lived in the house until at least 1930, and the house appears to have been used primarily thereafter as rental property or as offices. (CD, TR, S l)