360. Stagg-Ferebee House (FY 972)
1122 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1894
The Stagg-Ferebee House is one of the most fanciful Queen Anne style dwellings in the West End. Its primary ornamentation is derived from the alternating layers of square-cut and fishscale-cut wood shingles which grace the second story and gables. The two-story frame house has an irregular configuration, a weatherboarded first story, a hipped and gabled roof, bay windows, and a wrap-around corner porch.
It was the residence of Capt. William L. Stagg, a conductor on the Roanoke and Danville Railroad, as early as 1894. In 1936 Mrs. Sallie Stagg sold the house to Evelyn (Mrs. W.M.) Ferebee, and it remained the Ferebee family residence until the late 1960’s. (CD, TR)