356. Thomas Patterson House (FY 964)
1096 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1895
The Patterson House, one of the oldest dwellings in the West End, is a large two-story frame house of transitional late Victorian-Colonial Revival design. It has weatherboard siding, a pedimented gable roof, both one-over-one and nine-over-one sash windows, a projecting bay on the NE side, and a wrap-around porch with paneled Classical posts, a plain balustrade, and a balustraded upper deck. A distinguishing feature of the house is its projecting center bay with double-leaf entrance surrounded by sidelights and transom, pair of second story windows headed by wooden sunburst designs, and pedimented gable.
The first city directory listing for the house was in 1894/95, when it was the residence of Thomas Patterson, a manager at R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company He and his wife, Sallie, lived here until the late 1910’s. In 1921 George C. Tudor listed the property for taxes, and he converted the house to apartments. The house was renovated as a two-family dwelling in 1985. (CD, TR, SH)