354. (former) Methodist-Episcopal Church Parsonage (FY 1798)
1090 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1902
This large two-story frame house has simple Colonial Revival detailing typical of many houses in the West End. Dominant features include a steep hip roof, tall interior brick chimneys, a right front projecting bay, and a one-story wrap-around porch with paired Tuscan colonettes set on brick plinths with a plain balustrade. Probably during the third quarter of the century aluminum siding was added, but it does not destroy the basic form and detail of the house which make it contribute to the architectural character of the West End.
In 1902 the property was listed for taxes by the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and from 1904 to ca. 1920 the house was occupied by a succession of presiding elders of the Winston District of the church. Subsequently it has been used as rental property. (TR, CD, SH)
Garage, Noncontributing:Behind the house is a one-story brick structure with a hip roof which appears to have been a garage with the stalls now enclosed. It was probably built post 1930.