148 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1900
The Jeffries House is among the oldest and most fanciful of the Queen Anne style houses in the West End. Typical of the style, the two-story frame dwelling has an asymmetrical configuration with boldly projecting right front and left side bays, shingled gables with simple bargeboards, and a wrap-around porch with a spindle frieze, turned posts with brackets, and a turned balustrade. Above the pedimented entrance bay is a small second floor porch with matching detail. Windows have stained glass borders, and the handsome double-leaf doors have glass and wood panels and applied ornamentation.
The history of the house includes numerous owners, many of whom did not occupy the house. However, in the 1920’s it was occupied by owner J.F. Jeffries, a salesman. (TR, D, CD, SH)
1917 Sanborn Map, page 86 at “130” West End