348. Apartments (FY 1791)
1420-1422 Glade Street
Contributing, ca. 1926
This simple but handsome apartment building is related by material and detail to the architecture of the 1920’s in the West End. It is a two-story structure with a low hip roof, pebbledash walls, and a pair of smooth stuccoed front corner porches. Fenestration consists of French doors and nine-over-one sash windows.
Clarence T. Leinbach, vice-president of Wachovia Bank and Trust Company, purchased the property in 1926 and retained ownership until 1972, although he never resided here himself. One of the most notable occupants was local architect Harold Macklin, who lived in apartment 1422 during at least the 1960’s. (TR, CD)
Storage building, Noncontributing:Behind the apartments is a one-story frame storage building with vertical wood panel siding which was probably built during the third quarter of the twentieth century.