293. First Church of Christ, Scientist (FY 946)
N. corner Brookstown Avenue & Fifth Street
Facing the corner of Brookstown Avenue and w. Fifth Street, the Christian Science church is a small building of strong Federal Revival classicism. The well-developed design features a one-story rectangular structure lined with fifteen-over-fifteen sash windows accented by tall, keystoned round arches. The corners of the stuccoed building are accented by tall Tuscan pilasters. The facade features a central entrance porch with Tuscan posts and a full pedimented entablature which echoes the larger pedimented entablature of the gable roof.
In 1915 a Christian Science Society was organized in Winston-Salem, and in 1916 the Society rented space in an office building at 418 N. Liberty Street In Hay, 1924, a lot was purchased at Brookstown and Fifth for the erection of a church, and by October of that year work on this handsome building was completed. In lay, 1925, the Society formally became the First Church of Christ, Scientist. (See also #296)