279. Crichton-Atkinson House (FY 1736)
731 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1924
The Crichton-Atkinson House is an unusual bungalow with simple Classical detailing. It is a one-story stuccoed house with a hip roof, six-over-one sash windows, and a symmetrical facade whose central bay is emphasized by a pedimented entrance porch with slender Tuscan columns and a vaulted ceiling.
James H. and Margaret Crichton, both employees of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, were the first to be listed at this location in the city directories (1925). In 1926 Hrs. Ada Atkinson, widow of J. B. Atkinson, purchased the property, but she was not listed here until the 1930 directory. The Atkinson family owned the house until 1972.
Garage, Contributing: Behind the house is a stuccoed garage with a pyramidal roof which appears contemporary with the house.