278. Julius S. Bergman House (FY 1735)
725 West End Boulevard
The Bergman House is a simple but neatly designed Colonial Revival dwelling whose large size becomes apparent when it is viewed from the side. It is a two-story weatherboarded frame house with a broad gable roof with cornice returns, pedimented dormers, a central chimney, paired nine-over-one sash windows, and a front porch with paired Tuscan posts, a plain balustrade, and a pedimented entrance bay.
The property was purchased in 1924 by Mrs. Elizabeth G. Bergman, but family tradition claims the house was built as a duplex in 1923. The Bergmans were listed at this location in the 1925 city directory. Julius s. Bergman was a division superintendent for Southern Railway. The Bergman family occupied the house until 1965, and it was subsequently converted to five apartments.