274. Ferrell-Wright-McKeithan House (FY 1731)
614 West End Boulevard
This two-story weatherboarded Colonial Revival house exhibits features not usually found in the West End. Of particular interest are the saltbox gable roof, the six-panel front entrance with narrow sidelights and a wooden round-arched fan over the door (giving the feel of a Palladian window), the French doors rather than windows flanking the entrance, and the front porch with pairs of slender Tuscan posts with lattice infill, Classical cornice, and pedimented entrance bay with barrel-vaulted ceiling enframing the entrance.
The first owner-occupants were Jane R. and H. Luther Ferrell, 1923-1928. Luther Ferrell was an attorney with Ratcliff, Hudson and Ferrell (now Petree-Stockton). The Ferrells sold the house in 1928 to Forrest J. and Cassandra P. Wright, who owned it until 1944. Wright was vice-president of The Pilot Company. The next long-term owner-occupants were J. Harold and Millicent H. McKeithan, whose family owned the property from 1944 to 1975. Harold McKeithan was the resident title attorney for Prudential Insurance. (SM, TR, CD)
Outbuilding, Noncontributing:Behind the house is a small two-story brick outbuilding with a pyramidal roof, of undetermined construction date. It appears to have been originally a garage with a servant’s room above, but with alterations the building now appears to be used as an apartment.