261. Webb-Grimsley House (FY 1718)
921 Carolina Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1924
The Webb-Grimsley House is a typical 1920’s dwelling showing a combination of influences from the Craftsman and Prairie styles. The two-story frame house has a weatherboarded first story, a wood shingled second story, a low hipped roof with enclosed eaves, and horizontal bands of sash and casement windows. The hip-roofed front porch has heavy paneled and tapered posts set on brick plinths.
The first known occupants were Garland E. Webb (probably the son of Garland E. and Addie Webb of #47) and his wife, Anne, who were listed in the 1925 city directory. In 1926 Harry B. Grimsley, vice president of Guaranty Building and Loan Assn. and a representative for Security Life and Trust Company, purchased the property, and it was his residence until at least the 1930’s. Thereafter there were numerous owners until the present owners bought the house in 1969. (CD, TR, SM)