252. Millaway House (FY 1709)
910 Carolina Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1921
This classic bungalow is typical of many built in the 1910’s and 1920’s, including some examples in the West End. The well-preserved house is a one-and-a-half-story frame structure with coursed wood shingle siding, a broad gable roof with widely overhanging braced eaves, a large front gabled dormer, a NE side bay window, and an engaged front porch with paired square posts on brick plinths and a plain balustrade. Two flights of steps lead up the terraced front lawn to the house.
Beverly K. Millaway, a clerk at R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, and his wife, Ida, purchased the property in 1921, and the house, which was built soon thereafter, remained in their family ownership until 1965. (TR, CD, SM)