251. House (FY 1708)
906 Carolina Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1924
The delightful design of this small two-story frame house gives it the appearance of a one-and-a-half-story cottage. Primary characteristics include a weatherboarded first story, a coursed wood shingle second story, and a roof with a steep gable superimposed by a broad gable — both facing the street and with the same ridge line, which gives the impression of a gable with large shed dormers. The two sets of overhanging eaves shelter the walls. Also contributing to the character of the house is the front porch with latticed posts and a plain balustrade. The house is very similar to the one at 1223 W. First Street (#430).
The house was first listed in the 1925 city directory as the residence of William S. Fisher, who did not purchase the property until 1928. From 1929 to 1982 it was owned by members of the C. V. Kirkman family, who also owned 902 Carolina Avenue (#250) next door. (SM, CD, TR)
Garage, Noncontributing. Behind the house is a one-car garage with a broad gable roof and weatherboard siding, probably built in the 1970’s or 1980’s.