205. G. F. Hinshaw House (FY 1666)
829 Sixth Street
Contributing, ca. 1912
The Hinshaw House is a delightful one-and-a-half-story frame Shingle style dwelling whose primary characteristic is that it is sheathed entirely in fishscale-cut wood shingles. Others features include a steep clipped gable roof, intersecting side gables, and a partially engaged front porch with rectangular posts and a solid balustrade.
Guy F. Hinshaw, Winston-Salem’s city engineer and president of the Hinshaw Company (grocers), purchased the property in 1912, and he and his wife, Aileen, occupied the house. They sold in 1932. (TR, CD, SH)
Garage, Noncontributing:Behind the house is a one-car cinderblock garage with a pyramidal roof l which appears to date from the mid-twentieth century.