203. Kennerly-Shelton House (FY 1664)
819 Sixth Street
Contributing, ca. 1911
This virtually unaltered Colonial Revival house is one of the most handsome of the pebbledash dwellings in the West End. It is a two-story structure with a slate tile hip roof, a hipped front dormer, and a wrap-around porch with Tuscan columns, plain entrance bay topped by a balustraded deck. Beveled glass sidelights and/or transoms add refinement to the front entrances and windows.
James E. Kennerly, a contractor, and his wife, Florence, were listed at this location in the 1912 and 1915 city directories. Local tradition claims that Kennerly built this house and three other pebbledash dwellings next to and behind it (#81, 87, 294) and selected this, the fanciest of the four, as his residence for several years. In 1918 Mrs. S. H., George T., and A. H. Shelton, of the Shelton Furniture Company, purchased the property, and the Shelton family continues to occupy the house. (CD, TR, SM)
Garage, Contributing: Behind the house is a one-car pebbledash garage with a hip roof which appears to have been built prior to 1930.