130. John w. Shipley House (FY 984)
709 Summit Street
Contributing, ca. 1925
The Shipley House reflects a combination of the Colonial Revival and Craftsman styles. Located at the head of Jersey Avenue on a high terraced lot, the house is the most imposing of those on the Summit Street hill. The two-story house has a brick veneer first story, a pebbledash second story, a bellcast hip roof with widely overhanging bracketed eaves, and three pedimented front dormers. Windows are paired twelve-over-one sash with keystoned lintels, and the central entrance with sidelights and transom is sheltered by a Classical porch with Tuscan columns on brick plinths, a full entablature, and a balustraded deck. On the east side of the house is an open porch, while on the west side is a sun room.
John Shipley, a harnessmaker, first listed this property for taxes in 1911, and in 1916 Shipley and his wife, and Victor C. Creigen and his wife, Estelle s. (Shipley?] Creigen, were all living at this location. The house remained in family ownership until 1946. (TR, CD, SH, OS)
Garage, Noncontributing:On the alley behind the house is a one-car weatherboarded garage with a pyramidal roof which appears to have been built, or at least greatly remodeled, post 1950.