102. Dixon House (FY 1005)
407 Summit Street
Contributing, ca. 1915
The Dixon House is a well-preserved, two-story frame, Craftsman-Colonial Revival style dwelling with strong Classical detailing. The house has weatherboard siding, a low hip roof with pedimented cross gables and front dormer, widely overhanging eaves, eight-over-one sash windows, and a central entrance with sidelights and transom, The dominant feature of the house is the Classical front porch with Roman Doric columns and pilasters, a projecting entrance bay, and a dentiled cornice.
Irene B. Dixon purchased the property in 1914, and by 1916 she and her husband, Edward W., who was manager of the Imperial Tobacco Company, were living here. The house remained in the Dixon family until 1946. (TR, CD, SM)
Servant’s house, Contributing: Behind the house stands a weatherboarded frame servant’s house, which appears to have been built at the same time or shortly after the house. It has a cinderblock rear addition, probably dating from mid-century.